Saturday, July 11, 2009

Liquid Life


Liquid Charcoal tastes sickeningly sweet.
When you overdose on pills they make you drink it. You don’t have a choice. The choice they do give you is whether you will corporate and take it on your own drinking the thick gritty black liquid through a straw or if they find that you resist or refuse to drink it they strap you down and shove a large tube down your esophagus down your nose into your stomach and force the charcoal down. This method makes it hard to swallow and leaves you feeling sore for days after the procedure. Because I had heard of this I opted to make it easier on everyone and to go ahead and attempt to drink the putrid sweet liquid on my own.
My nurse held a tube of what looked like an over sized family tube of toothpaste in her hand and she squeezed the first cup-full out and handed it too me. Being an avid drinker in my youth I was determined to drink this horrible concoction that was supposed to save my life with out gagging.
I put the straw to my mouth and began to drink it as if it was a horrible mixed drink. The first taste of the sweet grit hit my mouth and I swallowed gulping faster I knew I had to get it down. The taste is so powerful it is beyond words. Filling my mouth over and over it was impossible to “slam” it back. I could feel my stomach filling up. Finally the first cup was empty and I looked up at the nurse who just smiled at me. Obviously the first cup is the easiest. My lips were beginning to be stained the black of the charcoal and I could just imagine what the inside of my mouth looked like. The nurse squeezed out another cup-full and I closed my eyes as I held the straw once again to my lips. This time it wasn’t going to be easy. By the end of the second cup I was gagging. Although I have an amazing sold hold on my gag reflex this liquid charcoal was getting the better of me. Never in my life had something so sweet tasted so repulsive. My entire mouth was dyed black.
“Only a little more. ” The nurse sympathized this time as she squeezed out the finally bit of charcoal into the cup.
Holding up the last forth of a cup she said, “It’s really important that you drink all of this.” I could tell she was just touting the line, so I took the cup from her this final time. I had earned this fate when I dumped a half empty bottle of fast acting super strength Tylenol into my hand and consumed about fifty pills in one swallow. A very effective death sentence for my liver and me if I didn’t reverse the effects of the drug fast. I took a deep breath and gagged as I drank the last bit of liquid charcoal. Then came the bad news.
“Honey, I know that was bad, but this is nothing to the stuff you are going to have to start taking.” at that the nurse smiled at me, turned and left the room with a nice little swagger of her hips.
Nothing we do comes without a price And this idiotic yet every effective attempt at Suicide. The payback was just beginning.
I say idiotic because every self respective bipolar person knows that Tylenol is Not the way to go! Why you may think to yourself. Let me tell you this.. Just so no one else make my mistake! Acetaminophen is the active ingredient in over the counter Tylenol and it is extremely toxic to the liver in large quantities, therefore very effective in killing your liver cells. No one can live without a liver. It can take up to 2 days for your liver to completely cease functioning and your body to start suffering the effects. Then you can go as long as a week where you suffer without your liver detoxifying your blood and you die. So, were you to actually follow through with your suicide in this manner. you would be in excruciating pain one can not even begin to imagine. But back to me…. I am not willing to die in pain! So I thought for a second afterward and said to my husband, “I just took lots of Tylenol. You can either write me a note and I will go to the emergency room or go to bed.” I was not in my right frame of mind hoping he would go to bed and I could pillage our medicine cabinet that had everything from prescription sleeping pills to Xanax, my anti- anxiety medicine all of which would have made a beautiful and calm night-time Suicide success! Most people who commit suicide are not in their right mind, and as you can see. I was not in mine. Asking my husband??? So of course as soon as I told him I had swallowed pills he wanted me to vomit them up only to find out from the poison control hotline that you only vomit up ten percent of your stomach contents and the only rectification was a trip to the hospital… He reluctantly wrote the note and I reluctantly accepted it looking longingly at the medicine cabinet as I walked out the front door to drive myself to the emergency room. This was my first trip into Hell!

No comments:

Post a Comment